Thursday 5 May 2016

Sunshine

It's been so beautifully sunny in East Anglia in the last couple of days.  So I wore a dress and got my legs out!

This dress is one of most recent makes, and it's one of my absolute favourites.  The fabric is a lovely cotton that I bought from John Lewis in January - it was in the sale.  It sews beautifully, doesn't crease much and is so comfortable.

The pattern is Fancy Tiger Fen and this is the second one I've made.  I made an alteration to the pattern in lengthening the bodice by a couple of inches as I feel my first one came up a little short.










The pattern says you need 3 yards (that's 2.7m).  I could have got my first one from 2m of 140cm wide by piecing the back bodice if I hadn't forgotten to flip the pattern *rolls eyes*  Rookie error!  But you can definitely get it out of 2.5m, if you use pre-made bias binding, or make it from a contrast colour. It's nice to use self-made same fabric bias, but it's a massive fabric eater to make and I prefer the contrast of a different fabric or block colour.

The hem is double folded and twin-stitched.

Aside from that, the cutting is easy, and sewing took about 3 hours.

Also, POCKETS!  I do love a good pocket and these are just great for size and depth.

I absolutely love this dress, it's easy to wear, it's easy to make, it looks nice.  I will be wearing this dress a lot this summer.

I might make another one, perhaps with a hem variation.  But definitely with the v-neck, I prefer it, though I need to improve my binding technique...

Cardi - Braintree
Shoes - LK Bennett
Legs - Johnson's Holiday skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment